If you are stuck in the middle of a stranded place or you are in the middle of a busy street with your broken car, then worry not, as AAA roadside assistance is there to help you in any situation, they will tow your vehicle (*According to your membership level) and drop you off at a secure place to get your car fixed.
So, let’s look at the answers of some of the most commonly asked questions about AAA towing Roadside Assistance.
Can AAA Tow any Car
AAA membership is tied to the person and not the car which they had while purchasing membership , so the AAA member can get any Car towed, even if it is not their car.
You just need to be driving it or be a passenger in the car and have your AAA membership card with you ,if you want the car to be towed.
Will AAA tow me to my home if I am Drunk
Drunk towing or also referred to as “Tipsy towing” is not very common and hence very few AAA clubs offer this service,
So you will need to call the local AAA service representative in order to check if they provide this service or not.
But mind that you will not be eligible for free towing because technically AAA is an emergency roadside assistance program and they are only liable to provide you service if you had a sudden breakdown.
Charges of Tipsy towing depends upon club to club.
Will AAA Tow a car that has been in a road accident
If you have been in an unfortunate accident then you should think of a few things first before calling AAA,
If you call AAA for accident towing then probably they will refuse you saying that it is your insurance companies job and it is true, Insurance company will pay for all the damage and the towing as well, you don’t need to waste your 1 call to AAA.
However, if you are blocking the traffic or in a rush then you can call AAA for replacing a tire or tell them to tow it to a place where you can call the insurance company.
Who is responsible for damaged car during towing
The car towing company is responsible for towing mishappenings and they are liable to pay you for the damage caused by their worker,
but it can be a bit long process because they will first talk with the driver and ask him about the details of the towing, and whether all the rules were followed.
So, after a few weeks, maybe you will receive the compensation.
How long does it take for an AAA truck to arrive
People don’t have very good experiences with AAA representatives arriving on time, saying they usually arive in hours. Although AAA informs you the time when you call them for roadside assistance.
Can AAA tow my friends Car
Yes, AAA can tow your friends car but there’s a condition for it i.e. you need to be present there with your friend with your AAA membership Card, if not, AAA will refuse to provide any free service to you.
and also you need to be a driver or a passenger in the vehicle, in order to get the assistance.
Do You have to be with your car for AAA to tow it?
AAA membership doesn’t cover a particular vehicle. It covers the person with a AAA membership. Therefore you must be present with your membership card for AAA to tow your car. It doesn’t matter whether you are a driver, passenger, someone else’s car, or a rental. If you are at the location with your membership card, you can avail of AAA services.
Can AAA tow an unregistered vehicle
No, AAA won’t tow an unregistered vehicle unless it is going for repair or have an old registration, because of a variety of reasons like
The car could be stolen
The car could be linked with a Crime Scene
Can AAA tow a Car without Keys
As long as the Car belongs to you and the is movable, AAA can tow it to the nearest auto center to get it fixed or you can call the AAA locksmith for getting your car unlocked and then get it towed if needed.
But you need to verify your Identity and your ownership of the car, before any AAA representative starts their work.
Can AAA tow a Tesla
Yes, they can tow any car including Tesla but they have suspended charging the electric vehicles, but you can get towed to the charging station or wherever you want (unless it is in the provided towing distance)
Can AAA tow an RV, Motorcycle or Trailer
Yes, AAA can tow an RV, motorcycle or any trailer but this service is only available for premium members.
How Much AAA Charge after the free miles are up
There are three level of membership available with AAA and each memebership has a certain limit of towing assosicated with it.
Once the limit is up, you will have to pay usually between 7$ to 12$ per mile depending upon the area and club you are taking the service from.
Will AAA tow a car without Membership Card
No, the AAA will not tow your car or provide you with any service without the membership card, because since every member gets only 4 calls per year, AAA needs to verify your eligibility using your AAA card,
but if the situation is very serious like the member was in an accident and been taken in an ambulance, AAA can allow a service.
AAA towing Distance available to people
There are three membership level in AAA i.e. Basic, Plus and Premier and each membership level comes up with the limitation of towing, see the limitation below-:
If you have a Basic membership then you will get 7 miles of free towing for 4 times a year
If you have a Plus membership then you will get 100 miles of free Towing for 4 times a year
If you have a Premier membership then you will get one 200 mile tow and 3 100 miles tows a year
Note: The premier members get the benefit of Towing RV’s , Motorcycles and trailers
Will AAA tow from my House/Driveway
If your car is broken down and you need towing it from one place to another then AAA will do it for no issues whether it is your house or your driveway.
You just need to verify your Identity and your ownership with the car to proceed the tow.
Will AAA tow a Car I just Bought
If the car is in working condition and its just not working right now, then you can use the tow but if you purchased a broken down car and need tow then AAA won’t be helping you.
Although some people have gotten away with it in the past, but it is a grey area, you have to call AAA in order to know the exact answer.
Tip:Don’t directly say that you have purchased a run down broken car, even if you have.
Also see How can AAA help in case of Locked Car
Can I Call CAA Without membership?
You must be a CAA member to benefit from 24/7 roadside assistance and associated perks. To benefit from Emergency Road Service or other perks, the family member of a CAA member must have a valid membership of their own. You are covered even if added as an Associate Member to A CAA member.
Moreover, CAA membership is not tied to the member’s vehicle. If you’re a CAA member, you will receive assistance even if you’re a passenger.
Read more here.
What does CAA Cover?
CAA provides service to the following types of vehicles (must be licensed):
- Four-tired motor-driven vehicles such as pickups, cars, motor homes, vans, etc.
- Motorcycles with or without sidecars are eligible with plus membership.
- Dual-tired, unloaded pickup trucks are eligible for all services barring the tire service. Tire service is performed only with a Plus RV membership.
- Rental passenger cars. It doesn’t include taxis and limousines.
- Plus RV membership will unlock service to the following types of vehicles:
- Dual tired motorhomes.
- Dual tired pick-up trucks. They can be loaded or unloaded.
- Travel Trailers
- Snowmobile trailers
- Unloaded Horse trailers.
- Utility Trailers
- Boat Trailers.
Being a CAA member gives you access to the following services:
- Roadside Assistance: A CAA professional technician will come to your rescue wherever your vehicle breaks down for on-site repair. Your car will be towed to the nearby service center if a detailed repair is required. The towing service caps differ based on membership types.
- Basic Membership: This offers you four tows up to 6 miles.
- Plus Membership: This offers you four tows up to 120 miles.
- Premier Membership: This offers you one tow up to 200 miles and four tows up to 120 miles.
- Battery Service: A battery boost, repair, or replacement is a call away. CAA Battery representatives will deliver, install and recycle the battery free of cost if you have purchased CAA Premium Battery.
- Flat Tire Service: A professional will install a spare tire so you can get back on the road right away.
- Fuel Delivery: If you run out of fuel, you will be delivered enough to reach any gas station nearby. There are no delivery charges across all membership types. If you are a Basic member, you are charged the current pump prices for fuel. It’s free for Plus and Premier members.
- Service Tracker: You will receive real-time updates on wait times and service calls. From the moment the call is received, you will get updates every 5-10 minutes on your service provider’s location and estimated arrival time.
- Bike Assist: CAA will transport you and your bicycle wherever you need to go. You can get this service where vehicle access is permitted, and this varies based on seasonal availability.
- Lockout Services: If you are locked out of your car, CAA sends professionals to gain access. If keys are lost, broken, or can’t be accessed by professionals, CAA will arrange for a Locksmith. CAA will provide $50 for locksmith service to Basic members and $100 for Plus members. This refund comprises ignition work or the making of one ignition key. In case this doesn’t work out, you receive towing service.
- Extrication Service: Your vehicle is extricated from an undrivable place. You are dropped off at a place where you can safely reach a commonly traveled thoroughfare. You will have to bear the additional expenses if you require special equipment, extraneous equipment, or vehicles. Plus members can avail of an extra vehicle and operator for up to 1 hour.
CAA offers these services in Canada and the United States- 24/7, all over the year.
CAA also offers CAA-Approved Auto Repair Services which identifies auto repair facilities that satisfy the rigorous CAA standards for quality services at affordable prices.
If you’re a CAA member, you can enjoy the benefits of a free loyalty program through the CAA Rewards program. It includes discounts on travel, hotels, rental cars, retail services, and more.
CAA also offers a variety of insurance products for auto, property, travel, life, pet, or anything in-between. Members can get substantial savings and perks on these services.
How many times can you call CAA?
You are covered up to four service calls each year upon showing your membership card. These service calls expire at the end of the ongoing membership year. You will be billed for the service at prevalent regional CAA contractor prices, if you exceed the limit.
Request for any CAA roadside assistance is counted as one Service Call. In the case of locksmith service, the request is counted as one call. Your car is towed if the locksmith service is unsuccessful due to reasons like manufacturer restrictions. The towing service is an additional service call.
Can I get a Handicap Placard at AAA?
You must have an AAA membership to get their handicap placard. To get the handicap placard:
- You must make an appointment if applying in person to get the disability card. Make an appointment online at https://dmv.cluballiance.aaa.com.
- Collect the application form online or at any AAA office.
- You have to complete Part A of the Application form.
- You must get medical certification from any of the following people:
- Medical Doctor
- Certified Chiropractor
- Physician’s Assistant
- Optometrist, for legal blindness only.
- You must note that the application can not be faxed or emailed to DMV.
- You have to get Part B of the application filled out by any of the following people:
- Advanced Practice Registered Nurse
- Physician’s Assistant
- Submit the application. Make sure that both the signature of the doctor and the applicant are on the application.
Once the application is approved, you will receive the disability placard in approximately 4 weeks.
You must note that there are two types of disability cards: Temporary and permanent.
Temporary permits have a $5 application fee. They are valid up to six months from the issued date. You get a Red placard denoting the temporary permit due to a temporary disability.
Permanent Disability permits have no application fee. They are valid as long as the Driver’s License is under the expiry date. You get a Dark Blue placard denoting the disability is permanent but the placard may be subject to renewal.
Read about this in detail here
How to get paid by AAA Insurance after an accident?
To file your accident claim, call their 24/7 claims call center as soon as possible. The number to call is (800) 922 8228.
You have to give these specific details that the claims representative will ask from you:
- Location and time of the accident
- Names of the drivers involved in the accident
- Vehicles that were involved in the accident
- Names and contact information of any witnesses
- Description of the damage done by the accident
- Police report: If the police aren’t already informed, they should be notified immediately.
You should be aware of the fact that AAA is not one entity with nationwide coverage. Instead, AAA insurance works by the organization having relationships with multiple “Auto Clubs” in various regions. It means that you won’t be claiming your insurance directly with AAA. Rather, you are filing your claim with the insurance provider for AAA in that particular area.
You should be very vigilant about any concerning deadlines. Do not depend on the insurance company to make you aware of any deadlines. Each state has different laws and limitations that restrict the time you have available following a car accident to take legal action. Certain exceptions can shorten these deadlines too.
Also, limit the information that you provide to only what is necessary. You ought to be aware that the insurer protects his interests. Thus, do not provide unnecessary details.
After you’ve calmed down and are out of danger, try to do the following things:
- Exchange your contact and insurance information with all concerned parties. You shouldn’t participate in prolonged and unrequired conversations. You shouldn’t apologize or admit fault.
- Take photos of all the damage resulting from the accident.
- Make sure you find witnesses other than the parties involved. You try to ask for their names and contact information.
- Request the police to file an official accident report.
- The process after this will be between you as the claimant and the insurance provider. It is dispensable, but try to hire a car accident attorney to take care of the process. This increases your chances of a successful claim.
How to Contact the AAA for towing assistance
You can contact the AAA’s roadside assistance by either calling them or through their app or their website. But, you should note that AAA road side assistance depends on county you are in , so you need to visit the correct website.
|AAA Member Login||http://www.aaa.com/drrweblogin|
|AAA App (Apple Devices)||Click Here|
|AAA App (Android Devices)||Click here|
|AAA Road side Assistance Number:||8002224357|
You can also Text APP10 to 86792 to receive a link to download the app.*
From towing to lockout services and biker assistance, AAA and CAA memberships are a requirement for hassle-free travel. The membership card is a must-have in your pocket similar to always having an identification card within reach.
For any vehicle problems that you face on-road in the United States or Canada, help is just a phone call away. If you are already not a member, visit your nearest AAA or CAA office to obtain a membership that takes care of all your on-road troubles!