The American Automobile Association or AAA is an establishment of private, not-for-profit motor clubs with its services based in and around North American locations. Being a member of this privately held organization by paying a nominal fee, one can offer a myriad of services like roadside automobile assistance, insurance products, guides, and other driver’s safety programs.
AAA also helps in renewing driver’s licenses so, in case, your driver’s license has expired, and you are looking to renew your license then, you have come to the right place!
What is a REAL ID?
A REAL ID is a driver’s license or an identification card which is considered to be an accepted form of identification within the U.S. to board flights, get access to federal facilities such as military bases, federal courthouses and other federal locations. However, it is not a necessity to get a REAL ID. Members of AAA can get their REAL ID made from select branches.
Does AAA renew driver’s licenses?
If your driver’s license has expired then you need to renew your license by seeking out your local AAA branch or you can find out if your local branch offers license renewals by going to the official AAA website and typing your zip-code. The services are enlisted under Automotive->Driving Resources.
You can renew your license as early as six months (180 days) prior to the date of expiration or on the date itself. However, a late fee is charged in case the renewal is done after expiration.
Get Your International Drivers Permit from AAA
In what states does AAA offer license renewals?
You do not necessarily need to have a membership in order to renew your license from AAA. However, the laws vary from state to state since some places might only allow in person renewals while others require you to do it online or by mail.
This is a list of states where you can renew your license at AAA:
Please note that you should contact your local branch beforehand because not all AAA branches in these states offer license renewals. Some conduct driver’s license services by appointment only.
- Rhode Island*
*Online renewal or by mail is also done.
States where license renewal is done online or by mail:
- Alabama (by mail only)
- Alaska (by mail only)
- Idaho (by mail only)
- New Hampshire
- New Jersey (only by mail, if born on or before December 1, 1964)
- New Mexico (online only, by mail if military personnel)
- New York
- South Carolina (by mail only)
- South Dakota
- Vermont (by mail only)
- Wyoming (by mail only)
States where in person license renewal is done:
Military personnel and individuals residing out of the state can renew by mail in states where in person renewal is required.
- North Carolina
- North Dakota
- West Virginia
How can I renew my license at AAA in person?
AAA conducts the license renewals in person as well as, through an online mode in case, the person is unable to appear for the renewal in person. A stepwise guide is presented below to help you renew your license successfully.
You will be prohibited from renewing your license in person, if any of these following scenarios apply to you:
- If it has been more than two years since your license has expired.
- If your license has been suspended.
Things required for the process:
- Existing driver’s license. If you do not have your current driver’s license then, you are required to provide another form of identification which is acceptable.
- The renewal application form received in the mail. In case, you have not received one then, you can contact the License Processing Unit at 860-263-5148 and provide them with the available license number.
- Payment fee of $72.00 with a $5.00 convenience fee which is additionally charged at AAA branches. If a person is over the age of 65 years, they can obtain a two-year driver license for a license fee of $24.00.
Additional documents (if required):
- Additional accepted forms of identification if you are applying for a REAL ID verified license. If you already own a verified license then, you need not bother.
- If you have changed your name then, you must present an original or certified copy of a marriage license, divorce decree, civil union certificate or a probate court name change document for verification of the name change. You must also get your name updated by Social Security and provide a Change of Name or Name Correction Request (Form E-78) to the DMV.
- If you are in the US Military and wish to opt for a no-fee renewal then, you are required to bring your active Military ID along with an application for the waiver of driver’s license fee form. If you are discharged from your honorable duties with the US Military in the last 60 days then you are required to bring your DD-214 (Certificate of Release) along with the application form.
You can receive your new license through mail within 20 days after completion of these procedures.
How can I renew my license at AAA online?
You can opt for license renewal through online mode, only if these conditions do not apply to you:
- In your last driver’s license renewal, a new photo was not taken.
- You are applying for a REAL ID license for the first time. The procedure of getting a REAL ID is done in person.
- You are not a US citizen.
- You have a commercial driver’s license.
- Suspension of license.
- You cannot renew if you have a driver only license.
- It has been more than two years since your license has expired.
- In case of an S, V, A, and F endorsement. You must appear in person for renewal.
- You want to change your name.
- You are a member of the US military or were discharged within the last 60 days from service and wish to do a no fee renewal.
What you need for the online procedure:
- Your date of birth.
- Your street address.
- Your driver’s license number.
- Your social security number.
- A credit or debit card
- Your first and last name on your current driver’s license.
How will public passenger endorsements renew their license?
In the event of public passenger endorsement renewals, S, V, A and F holders should carry a current, legitimate, unexpired medical certificate completed by a certified medical examiner on file in accordance with the DMV, before the renewal.
Self-certification should be done by applicants through the official DMV website and confirmation notice is to be printed.
“S” endorsement operators to obtain proper classifications on their license must successfully pass all sections of the skill test. Skill test results are entered into the system prior to the issuing of the license so, you must wait two to five business days after having appeared for the skill test.
“V” holders are only expected to show a copy of their training certificate (R-360).
What is the cost for renewing your license at AAA?
The renewal fees are different depending upon the tenure of the license:
- A 6 year driver’s license renewal costs $72.00
- An 8 year driver’s license renewal costs $96.00
- For ages 65 years and older, a two year driver’s license renewal costs $24.00
What are the other ways to renew your license at AAA?
If you are unable to avail the license renewal either in person or through online mode, then you can consider renewal through mail in case of following scenarios:
- You can renew your license through mail for free if you are in active duty in the US military or were honorably discharged in the last 60 days.
- If you are suffering from a critical medical condition and are not able to go to the nearest AAA branch then, you may request a renewal by mail by completing Form B-350 and form Cl-1.
- If you are temporarily out of Connecticut, the renewal can be done through mail and the license would be mailed to the address where you are currently residing.
- In case of an incarceration, the license will be sent to your facility after you have provided your inmate number.
You are not eligible to avail the renewal through mail for these following scenarios:
- Your new driver’s license will be mailed to the address you provide. You will not receive your new license if you have mail forwarding.
- If your last renewal was done through an online mode or mail, a new picture needs to be taken by making an in-person appointment at your local branch.
- You possess Commercial Driver’s License or Public Service Endorsements.
- A drive only license which can only be renewed at a DMV branch.
- If you are living in another state then, you must procure a license in that state and may not renew your Connecticut Driver’s License.
You are required to do the following for license renewal through mail:
- An identification card by mail (Form B-350) needs to be completed.
- A check or money order should be made payable for the appropriate fee to “AAA.” This should be done through a United States bank.
The fee remains the same as that of the online mode of renewal.
Do I need to take a new photo for REAL ID?
To apply for a REAL ID, you must go to the DMV and apply in person unlike, in renewals which can be done online. As per federal regulations, you will also be required to take a new photo. Old license photos are not to be used while upgrading.
Does REAL ID replace passports?
A REAL ID is required for domestic travel and a passport is also accepted in place of a REAL ID for domestic travel. However, a valid passport should be presented while travelling internationally and a REAL ID cannot be used in place of a passport in this scenario.
What are the other services offered by AAA?
If you live in a state that does not offer AAA license renewals, worry not! These states offer a plethora of other automotive services which are available at certain branches depending upon state laws. Some of them have been listed below:
- Disabled plates
- Vehicle and vessel registration renewals
- Duplicate registration and stickers
- Change of address in driver’s license
- Release of liability
- Used vehicle transfers
- New and used boat transfers
- Duplicate plates
- Parking placards
- Personalized license plates
- Off highway vehicle registration renewal (dirt bikes, ATV, etc)
How do I contact AAA?
If you are in urgent need for roadside assistance then, you can contact them by telephone on 800-222-4357. For members, the service center can be reached on 800-922-8228. You can also get in touch with them through their app or official website.
You should also note that roadside assistance depends on the state that you are in, hence, you need to find the correct number by visiting the correct website for your state.
We hope we have been able to answer your queries sufficiently!